BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-03 > 1299090776

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Why Mrs. Schmucker wasn't in Somerset County
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:32:56 -0500

Suzy:

The Historical Society of Somerset County re-published the journal of Harmon
Husband a few years ago. The Journal talks about Indian uprisings in
Somerset County beginning in 1778. It talks about the 250 militia from
York, Cumberland and Lancaster County were called up in 1779 to defend
Westmoreland and Bedford Counties. It also includes a July 4, 1779 letter
from a resident of the town of Bedford, stating the county was pointed
toward destruction, and mentions Girty. It has several Girty stories as
well.

The History of Bedford & Somerset Counties has a February 16, 1779 letter
from the Bedford commissioners, noting that for the last 18 months they had
been dealing with Indian uprisings, and that many of the settlers, didn't
grow or harvest crops resulting in food shortages, and that many had already
left the county. The History goes on to talk about an evacuation that
occurred in 1782, after Girty burned Hannastown (outside Greensburg, PA).
It states the settlers (including Husband) evacuated to Conococheague
(Hagerstown Maryland area), as well as Cumberland and York Counties. It
goes onto describe the local forts, noting that they were only occupied by a
few militia and rangers, had only minimal provisions, and no money to buy
additional supplies.

Fort Bedford was the nearest fort, but built in the French & Indian War, and
was likely in poor shape at this time. The only option was to move to a
place that had food, and was safe from the Indians (who the British were
encouraging to attack settlers).

I just happened to see Simon Girty on television the other day. He was in
an old classic "The Devil and Daniel Webster." Girty was one of the Juror's
selected by Satan.

Bill Thomas