BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-03 > 1299090776

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Why Mrs. Schmucker wasn't in Somerset County
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:32:56 -0500
References: <C8965658884E43A6A7C17AF63FA056BB@thomas01><8CDA5DC225259A3-16A8-22EE0@Webmail-m109.sysops.aol.com><11BE2620638149E8B006615ED0D2F42D@thomas01><8CDA710C40615CB-1208-28F2B@webmail-m127.sysops.aol.com>
In-Reply-To: <8CDA710C40615CB-1208-28F2B@webmail-m127.sysops.aol.com>

Suzy:

The Historical Society of Somerset County re-published the journal of Harmon
Husband a few years ago. The Journal talks about Indian uprisings in
Somerset County beginning in 1778. It talks about the 250 militia from
York, Cumberland and Lancaster County were called up in 1779 to defend
Westmoreland and Bedford Counties. It also includes a July 4, 1779 letter
from a resident of the town of Bedford, stating the county was pointed
toward destruction, and mentions Girty. It has several Girty stories as
well.

The History of Bedford & Somerset Counties has a February 16, 1779 letter
from the Bedford commissioners, noting that for the last 18 months they had
been dealing with Indian uprisings, and that many of the settlers, didn't
grow or harvest crops resulting in food shortages, and that many had already
left the county. The History goes on to talk about an evacuation that
occurred in 1782, after Girty burned Hannastown (outside Greensburg, PA).
It states the settlers (including Husband) evacuated to Conococheague
(Hagerstown Maryland area), as well as Cumberland and York Counties. It
goes onto describe the local forts, noting that they were only occupied by a
few militia and rangers, had only minimal provisions, and no money to buy
additional supplies.

Fort Bedford was the nearest fort, but built in the French & Indian War, and
was likely in poor shape at this time. The only option was to move to a
place that had food, and was safe from the Indians (who the British were
encouraging to attack settlers).

I just happened to see Simon Girty on television the other day. He was in
an old classic "The Devil and Daniel Webster." Girty was one of the Juror's
selected by Satan.

Bill Thomas

From: [mailto:]
On Behalf Of Suzy
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [BRE] Why Mrs. Schmucker wasn't in Somerset County

Wow! Wow! WOW! I hadn't thought of this, and I know nothing about it.
That book of Bedford & Somerset Cos said they went to special Forts that
were way closer. I Googled Simon Girty and/or Indian uprisings with not a
whole lot of luck, but then I changed the search to find these books which
can be read online:

Frontier advance on the upper Ohio, 1778-1779 by Louise Phelps Kellogg d
1942 Pitt

The massacre of Wyoming. The acts of Congress for the defense of the Wyoming
Valley, Pennsylvania, 1776-1778: with the petitions of the sufferers by the
massacre of July 3, 1778, for congressional aid by Wyoming Historical and
Geological Society United States. Continental Congress Hayden, Horace Edwin,
1837-1917 Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Printed for the Society, 1895 OpL

I'm getting there...they are on the top of the short list of things to do.

Bill, I can't thank you enough for not only this, but your general
conversation on the list these past couple of months.

Suzy

From: William Thomas <>
Sent: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 4:23 pm
Subject: Re: [BRE] Why Mrs. Schmucker wasn't in Somerset County

Suzy:

A light just went off in my brain. I think I now why Jacob Schmucker's wife
had her baby in Carlisle in 1779. Many of the residents of then Bedford
County left the area between 1778 & 1779 due to Indian uprisings. Carlisle
was the evacuation point for many of the refugee's. They were escaping the
infamous Simon Girty and his Indian warriors.

Bill Thomas

From: [mailto:]
On Behalf Of Suzy
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:59 PM
Subject: Re: [BRE] How does on reasearch Ephrata names?...tax list

Yes, Bill, I know, not necessarily, but some 20 year old kid wasn't in a
position to speculate like Benj Chew and others. Plus, he didn't outright
own the property, not then anyway, if I'm reading my history books the right
way. I think he got the property though some legislation that happened in
1792. Squatter's Rights is what I call it, but Tomahawk Claim is what they
euphemistically call it in the books. This is totally off the subject of the
list, but my current theory -- and I say that without really knowing how it
all worked -- is that Jacob Schmucker, and possibly others, thought he'd
better hightail it to Cumberland/Bedford Co to get his claim in before the
land was all gone, but then he couldn't leave it for fear somebody would
come along and take it. ?? That's the only thing I can think of because I
doubt he had a place in the hills to spend the summer ala Geo Bush to
Kennebunkport. :) My guess is Jacob's wife didn't join him until after the
birth of their s!
on in 1779, although she might have originally been there, and then left
again, temporarily, to have her baby in civilization - I know that's what I
would do!!! Really, I am just trying to make sense of the clues I've been
given which amounts to his grandson, John Schmucker Jr's, hand written
history as it appeared in a mug biography of his great grandson, G.F.
Schmucker.

I just can't see him laying claim and leaving his property, but then maybe
my idea of what was going on back then with regard to land claims isn't
quite right. I would love to hear how it worked when somebody laid their
claim (or at least paid taxes) in 1776 but didn't purchase it until 1792.

Suzy

From: William Thomas <>
Sent: Sat, Feb 26, 2011 2:29 pm
Subject: Re: [BRE] How does on reasearch Ephrata names?...tax list

Being on the tax lists doesn't correlate to residency. It only means you

owned property. A number of the names on the Bedford County list owned

property but were not residents (some were land speculators like Benjamin

Chew).

Bill Thomas

From: [mailto:]

On Behalf Of Suzy

Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 11:26 PM

Subject: Re: [BRE] How does on reasearch Ephrata names?

Thank for your answers, Bill, N. H. and Gale. I have perused the listings

on the COB site, and the other lists, but am still combing through the

Ephrata book which I had never seen before.

I only have a small window of perhaps 8 years: 1768-1776 the time when ha

was a semi-adult (probably on his own, but it's not certain) but before he

was present and accounted for in Somerset Co (Bedford at the time). The

only thing I really have is that his wife was in or near Carlisle in 1779

when his son John was born. (Jacob is in Somerset as early as 1776 when he

was on a tax list, so I am not sure how that happened.) I know other

Schmucker researchers have combed though things long before this, but I keep

hoping his name will magically appear. ;)

Thaks of rht e replies, though. It's very interesting.

Suzy Smucker Wert

Indianapolis

From: gale honeyman <>

Sent: Thu, Feb 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Subject: Re: [BRE] How does on reasearch Ephrata names?

The URL for the Church of the Brethren network containing Brethren history

and genealogy is http://www.cob-net.org/genchurch.htm

From: "William Thomas" <>

Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:06 PM

Subject: Re: [BRE] How does on reasearch Ephrata names?

> Susy:

> There is the Ephrata Death Register on the COB website. You can also

> download the Chronicon Ephratense (a detailed history on the cloister). I

> believe the book Pennsylvania Vital Statistics also includes Ephrata

> records.

> Bill Thomas

Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN

Support Our Sponsoring Agency

The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)

For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body

of

the message

Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN

Support Our Sponsoring Agency

The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)

For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes

in the subject and the body of the message

Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN

Support Our Sponsoring Agency

The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)

For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body
of

the message

Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
Support Our Sponsoring Agency
The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message

Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
Support Our Sponsoring Agency
The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body
of
the message

Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
Support Our Sponsoring Agency
The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto: