BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-03 > 1299084498

From: Suzy <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Why Mrs. Schmucker wasn't in Somerset County
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 11:48:18 -0500

Wow! Wow! WOW! I hadn't thought of this, and I know nothing about it. That book of Bedford & Somerset Cos said they went to special Forts that were way closer. I Googled Simon Girty and/or Indian uprisings with not a whole lot of luck, but then I changed the search to find these books which can be read online:

Frontier advance on the upper Ohio, 1778-1779 by Louise Phelps Kellogg d 1942 Pitt

The massacre of Wyoming. The acts of Congress for the defense of the Wyoming Valley, Pennsylvania, 1776-1778: with the petitions of the sufferers by the massacre of July 3, 1778, for congressional aid by Wyoming Historical and Geological Society United States. Continental Congress Hayden, Horace Edwin, 1837-1917 Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Printed for the Society, 1895 OpL

I'm getting there...they are on the top of the short list of things to do.

Bill, I can't thank you enough for not only this, but your general conversation on the list these past couple of months.

Suzy