BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-01 > 1295994178

From: john shafer <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] OT maybe: How do Brethren grow churches?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:22:58 +0000

Iris, you make some good points. We also need to be very careful not to put too much trust in the country. Historically we learned that we can only put our trust in God because the country can turn against you at a moment's notice. (As the Brethren learned firsthand in Europe, and actually in this country also as they were persecuted for being "Tories" during the Revolution and again when the government tried to draft them into the army against their beliefs.) So counting on the country to be "Christian" is a trap, and against our understanding of the separation of Church and State. Your point about being "salt of the earth" is excellent. Sorry if I am off topic. I've enjoyed your emails as you search for your family history. We're all spiritual cousins.

John Shafer