BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-01 > 1295287136

From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Cripe
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:58:56 -0500
References: <AANLkTin8tfYPPO6utP7N0p567jhuJhUO8CrTuZ3xj3LN@mail.gmail.com><92DC4FF6A117A44E89DDC0065DC7158619741501@IU-MSSG-MBX106.ads.iu.edu><AANLkTinSogMotWPQ5=tUn0K8heiuLX2wkuLQ0Rzq5U8B@mail.gmail.com><CB5D2C926EEB4A2283E94AF92AEA13DE@MARTHA> <AANLkTiktsLBP86eDX2pOPeW-HcvpLq-NyHHntFJPMKN0@mail.gmail.com><8CD84846AB8A298-1204-3340C@webmail-m088.sysops.aol.com>
In-Reply-To: <8CD84846AB8A298-1204-3340C@webmail-m088.sysops.aol.com>

A very readable book that includes the Cripe family, along with the families
Miller, Ulrich, Replogle, Shively, and Metzger, is that of Justin Replogle,
ANCESTORS ON THE FRONTIER, 1998, published by the author. Justin was an
English professor living in Wisconsin. His book is fun and very readable
because it was written in story or historical narrative form as compared to
most family genealogy books which have page after page of birth, marriage,
and death data. His book does not have a whole lot of Cripe genealogy, but
does have a whole lot of historical background about their circumstances
during the 1700s, 1800s, and 1900s. I don't know if or where the book can
be purchased, but perhaps someone else on the list knows.

Dwayne Wrightsman

From: [mailto:]
On Behalf Of Stephanie Wilson
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: [BRE] Cripe

As a Cripe descendant, I would love to see an updated book on the Cripe
family!

Stephanie Randall Wilson

From: Iris Wilde <>
To: brethren <>
Sent: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 8:40 am
Subject: Re: [BRE] Cripe

The ONLY Cripe books I know about are pretty old. I may put together the
acts that I have found into a book. How many people on this list would be
nterested in an updated Cripe book? I don't want to step on anyone's toes
f they are planning on doing this but would like to see a "collaborative"
ffort. Thanks, Iris Daughter of Ira D. Cripe
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Martha Knaggs
>wrote:
> Iris,

Has a Cripe book been published yet? I would like one if it has.

Martha

From: "Iris Wilde" <>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2011 8:33 AM
Subject: Re: [BRE] appropriate behavior and dress for visitors to an Old
German Baptist Church

> Thanks to all who have entered some information on this. I feel a whole
> lot
> better about attending a service now. I think now I will be brave enough
> to
> try it. Last summer I parked for a little while outside the church but
> didn't feel comfortable enough to go to services without knowing dress
> expectations. Still, it was nice to visit a church that I went to briefly
> as
> a child and even returned to the basement as an adult for my Uncle's
> funeral dinner per my cousin's very strong request. The funeral services
> were held outside.I prefer outside funeral services to inside. I can
still
> remember my Aunt's was held outside as well and I was only five then. I
> will
> watch what side the women enter on and enter on the same before I go in.
> Hopefully, I wont feel to much like a sore thumb but even if I do, it
will
> only be for a few hours. Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how my
> experiences go this summer. My Best, Iris Daughter of Ira D. Cripe
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Shuman, Lois A <>
wrote:
>> A small word of caution - I would not count on the women sitting on the
>> left side of the meeting house at EVERY congregation. At my congregation
>> (Beech Grove, Indiana), the women sit on the right side. It depends on
>> several factors and can vary from one meeting house to another, often
>> based
>> nearest the baby room. I can think of about half where the women sit on
>> the
>> right side. (smile) For the meeting house you mentioned, I *think* I
>> remember the women sitting on the left, but it's been a few years since
I
>> attended services at that congregation.
>> Lois Shuman, OGBB member
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Iris Wilde [mailto:]
>> Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:00 PM
>> To:
>> Subject: Re: [BRE] appropriate behavior and dress for visitors to an Old
>> German Baptist Church
>> It will be spring or summer before I can attend. However, I will post
>> about
>> this experience. It looks like you and I have a lot of the same
>> relatives.
>> I
>> sure appreciate all you have posted. This really helps me. My Best, Iris
>> Daughter of Ira D. Cripe
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM, NCripe <> wrote:
>> > Iris,
>> > Now that it is clear to me that it is an Old German Baptist Church
>> > you're
>> > wanting to visit, I'll give you my input, based on having grown up
>> > German
>> > Baptist. Some of what respondants so far have said is valid, but as
a
>> > visitor and a non-member of the church (a "worldly" person as they see
>> it),
>> > you have far more leeway in how you dress than what some people think.
>> Head
>> > coverings are not expected of outsiders--they are considered part of
>> > the
>> > "uniform" of the church and as such, a symbol of belonging to it.
>> > Unless
>> > you belong to another congregation that wears head coverings and this
>> > is
>> > what you usually wear in church, it seem artificial for you to wear
>> > one.
>> > The main guideline: simply dress conservatively. A modest dress or
>> skirt.
>> > Below the knees isn't necessary, but near the knees would be good.
>> Don't
>> > wear sleeveless or a low neckline.
>> > Seating is pretty strictly gender-segregated. The only exception to
>> > this
>> > is if you are with a male visitor(s). Then it is okay for males and
>> females
>> > to sit together towards the back of the men's section.
>> >
>> > If you go alone or with another female, you should enter the left side
>> > of
>> > the church to sit with the women (as far as I have ever known, females
>> > ALWAYS sit on the left ). Sit up a few rows (say five or six) from
the
>> > back, in the middle section of the pews. If you sit all the way at
the
>> > back, you'll find yourself in the "young folks" section (14-20 or so
>> > year
>> > olds), where plenty of adolescent, restless behavior goes on. If you
>> > sit
>> to
>> > the far lefthand side, you'll likely be surrounded by young mothers
>> > with
>> > babies and toddlers who may need to get up to visit the baby room.
>> >
>> > The best thing to do, actually, is to arrive a half hour or more early
>> and
>> > introduce yourself to a friendly female face as a visitor. Ask them
>> where
>> > it would be best for you to sit and if there is an extra hymn book
you
>> > could use during the service. (They don't typically stow them in/on
>> > the
>> > pews (benches) like they do in mainstream churches, though they are
>> likely
>> > to have extras stashed somewhere that they'll be delighted to lend
>> > you).
>> > Bible readings will be from the King James version, so bring along a
>> > KJ
>> > Bible.
>> > Visitors are always very welcome at regular Sunday services, and as
>> > long
>> as
>> > you aren't dressed in sexually revealing clothing, how you are dressed
>> isn't
>> > that important. Modest and unshowy is the name of the game.
>> > There will be kneel-on-the-floor prayers that go on a long time. A
>> > long
>> > individualized prayer first, followed by the Lord's Prayer--both early
>> > in
>> > the service and towards the end. As a visitor/non-member you are
>> absolutely
>> > not obligated to get down on the floor. Simply bowing your head is
>> > perfectly appropriate.
>> > Hymns are "lined." Even though everyone has the words written in the
>> hymn
>> > book in front of them, they still adhere to the tradition of times
when
>> > illiteracy was more common and/or people didn't have access to a hymn
>> book.
>> > Each stanza is recited aloud by a deacon, then one of the deacons
will
>> > begin the singing (often there are multiple melodies possible for any
>> given
>> > hymn, and the hymn book has no musical notation, so deacons get to
>> > decide
>> > which tune to use) and then the congregation joins in. That stanza
>> > ends,
>> > the next is recited, and then the singing resumes. All the way
>> > through,
>> > every hymn that way (part of the reason these services go on for two
>> > hours!).
>> > The typical Sunday morning service goes like this: a reading from the
>> Old
>> > Testament, followed by singing, followed by 20-30 minutes of "opening"
>> > remarks preaching by one minister, followed by a 1st set of prayers,
>> > then
>> > another hymn, then a New Testament reading (named by the preacher who
>> will
>> > take the main sermon duties that day), then another hymn, then nearly
>> > an
>> > hour of preaching based on that reading, then more prayers, then a
hymn
>> (I
>> > think), then 15 minutes or so of closing remarks made by a third
>> preacher.
>> > Then a final hymn before dismissal. It's been about 30 years since
>> > I've
>> > sat through a GB service, so I may not be remembering exactly the
order
>> of
>> > when the hymns come in, but I think I've got it about right.
>> >
>> > Hope this is helpful!
>> >
>> > By the way, the beard is encouraged but not obligatory for GB men.
The
>> > tendancy is for more conservative men to wear them and more liberal
>> > ones
>> to
>> > not. This often correlates with younger men being unbearded and older
>> > bearded, but not necessarily. Beard-wearing is unrelated to marriage
>> > status, at least in my lifetime. I've known single men GB men with
>> beards
>> > and plenty of married ones without. Sometimes men go years without
one
>> and
>> > then grow one, but never vice versa. The only men who are definitely,
>> > as
>> > far as I know without exception expected to wear a beard are
preachers.
>> If
>> > you get elected to the ministry and you are unbearded, you grow one!
>> >
>> > There is some correlation between perceived piety and beard-wearing, a
>> bit
>> > like the perception of greater piety in a woman if she wears
>> smaller-print,
>> > dark-color fabrics, dark stockings, dress length far below the knees,
>> flat,
>> > black shoes, and doesn't poof her hair up in front.
>> >
>> > Hope this is helpful!
>> > Nancy Cripe [descendant of Daniel Cripe, John Perry Cripe, Henry

<AANLkTimnNK-tAd%2BMKaRzpQujjc98-R%<AANLkTimnN
K-tAd%252BMKaRzpQujjc98-R%>

<AANLkTimnNK-tAd%252BMKaRzpQujjc98-R%<AANLkT
imnNK-tAd%25252BMKaRzpQujjc98-R%>
>> > >
>> > ontent-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> > This really helped me! I will wear a regular over the knees dress for
>> > the
>> > ervice. The men at this church wear black hats and wear beards to show
>> they
>> > re married, I understand. I don't remember, however, my cousin ever
>> having
>> > beard. My Uncle had a wonderful white beard. The women wore little
>> > caps
>> on
>> > heir head and dresses. They set on opposite sides of the church. It
>> > will
>> be
>> > nteresting to see what the service is like now if it's ok that I
>> > attend.
>> :)
>> > 'll give it a try. Thanks so much for the information, Iris, Daughter
>> > of
>> > ra D. Cripe
>> > ------------------------
>> > Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
>> > ------------------------
>> > Support Our Sponsoring Agency
>> > The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
>> > For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:

>> > ------------------------
>> > -------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> --
>> Come home to www.soldiersangels.org and adopt a Soldier! They have
given
>> so
>> much to us.
>> ------------------------
>> Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
>> ------------------------
>> Support Our Sponsoring Agency
>> The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
>> For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:
>> ------------------------
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> --
> Come home to www.soldiersangels.org and adopt a Soldier! They have given
> so
> much to us.
> ------------------------
> Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
> ------------------------
> Support Our Sponsoring Agency
> The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
> For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:
> ------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------
Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
------------------------
Support Our Sponsoring Agency
The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:
------------------------

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes in the subject and the body of the message

ome home to www.soldiersangels.org and adopt a Soldier! They have given so
uch to us.

------------------------
earch the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
------------------------
Support Our Sponsoring Agency
The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
or further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:
------------------------
o unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

ith the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of

he message

------------------------
Search the Archives at http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/BRETHREN
------------------------
Support Our Sponsoring Agency
The Fellowship Of Brethren Genealogists (FOBG)
For further information contact Ron McAdams mailto:
------------------------

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
in the subject and the body of the message