BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2011-01 > 1294960365

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Toney's at Four Mile Church
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 18:12:45 -0500

> Thank you Merle for all the work you have done on the Brethren churches,
> especially the Four-Mile Church and the photos so all can see and feel what
> our ancestors have done. My gr-grandfather, Levi Gordon's first wife was
> Frances Moss, the daughter of Abraham Moss& Nancy Rife. I was so glad to
> see the photo of the Lybrook/Railsback cemetery after twice trying to visit
> it on our trips back to Preble County and never having accomplished that.

South of Boston IN (where I live) you have to go about 5 miles down
IN227 (becomes OH177) - at the state line - turn south on State Line
Road - about one mile - the Cemetery is to the west, across the field,
in a clump of trees (you do have to know the right clump) - and this is
the only to get back to it - down a narrow lane (the old road) and still
cut through a field.

Going south, the brick buildings on the highway just above the corner,
is the Jacob Lybrook house site (present building built by his daughter
and husband) - south, at the twist in the road which crosses the bridge
over Four Mile Creek, you will pass John Lybrook's house. He went back
to Virginia and married Fanny Toney, and brought her mother, Susanna
Toney back with them, the first Toneys here (probably 1809) - then some
of her brothers and sisters (4-5) came out - and some went on west.

You can go a mile south of the Four Mile Church (Nine Mile Road - off
IN227 -a half mile nothwest of the state line) - just past James Toney's
house, and take the same old road (now a driveway/lane) back to near
Philip Lybrook Sr's house - to his son, Elder Baltzer Lybrook's house,
which is just across Four Mile Creek from the Cemetery, but it is
terribly hard to get over there that way.

Merle

This thread: