BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2010-12 > 1292684905

From: "Roberta Estes" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Migration after snow? migration along rivers
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:08:25 -0500

Hi Judy,

Having read some journals of those who traveled, I believe the "easier
travel" is relative to mud. In some of the journals I've read, mud was the
enemy and when the ground froze, it was hard and much easier to travel over
for both the horses and the wagons. So many got mired in the mud. They
used to cut trees and then planks to cover the muddy areas in some places.

Roberta Estes