BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2010-03 > 1268947693

From: Phil Ritter <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Bavarian Palatinate to William Penn's influence onPennsylvania
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:28:13 -0700

One downside of the "Peaceable Kingdom Lost" book that I failed to
mention (and relevant to this list), is that is failed to discuss the
German population in much detail. We know from other sources that
the Anabaptist Germans closer to Philadelphia tended to be allies of
the Quakers. The book does refer to the frontier Germans voting with
the Scotch Irish anti-Quaker factions, but does not differentiate
between the Reformed/Lutheran versus the Mennonite/Brethren/Moravian
populations. Presumably the Moravians would have been sympathetic to
the Quaker attempts to protect the Christianized Indians (as there
were also massacres of Moravian-missionized Native Americans similar
to the extermination of the Christian Conestoga Indians by Scotch
Irish led mobs). Of course it's a fairly long book and can't be
comprehensive about everything.

The book does deal with the attempts by the Penns to control the
dispossession of Native American land and to prevent settlers and
squatters from buying or taking land directly from the Native
Americans. This fits with a family story about my own (likely)
ancestor George Ritter who is said to have bought a large amount of
land directly from the Indians in the Exetor/Oley area of Berks
County in the early 1700's, only to have the Penns take it away from
him claiming that it was only the Penns' right to buy and sell land
given them by the king.

I'm still looking for a possible connection between the Daniel Ritter
who came with Peter Becker in 1719 and settled in Oley and the George
Ritter who also lived in the Oley/Exetor area and left 20 pounds to
the Brethren Church for the poor in his will.

At 01:02 PM 3/18/2010, you wrote:
>I recently purchased the book you refer to for my father, but haven't had a
>chance to read it myself.
>
>There is an article in this month's American Heritage Magazine about
>Franklin in France during the Revolution. He passed himself off as a
>Quaker, dressing in plain Quaker fashion, even before king Louis (to the
>horror of the kings fashion conscious aids!). He was Quaker in dress only
>and of course for political purposes.
>
>Bill Thomas

This thread: