BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2010-02 > 1265941640


From: "ghoneyman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Divideing wall in the church
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:27:20 -0500
References: <4B74608F.2060105@frontiernet.net>,<2CB4B7BC29C54443852E446ABA2C6150@thomas01><BAY144-W28B05B5D81905DD57C773EDE4E0@phx.gbl><3E35AA1E-5A63-48BE-90A3-C28FFB7F0FC6@gmail.com>


The movable partitions in the older Ohio homes had a completely different
purpose than to separate the men and women during services. In order to
hold a large group of folks, the main living room in a number of homes was
quite large and the partition was to make this large room into to two
divided rooms. The partition was opened for Sunday services and closed for
daily living.

Gale Honeyman

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Lawson" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [BRE] Divideing wall in the church


> It appears that a few farm houses were actually built with these
> meetings in mind.
>
> From "History of the Church of the Brethren of the Southern District
> of Ohio" published in 1920, regarding the Wolf Creek Church organized
> in 1811...
>
> "The Wolf Creek Church had now been in existence ninety-nine years,
> the first twenty-six years without a meeting house. And some of the
> families held meetings in their homes for twenty-five years longer.
> The most notable farm house built for such meetings still in existence
> is the old Hay Home, now owned by Greely Pfoutz, where the Annual
> Meeting of 1862, and the Special Meetings of 1835 and 1840 or 44, were
> held. (See picture of this house.)"
>
> The caption under the picture of the house states "Interior of Old Hay
> Home with movable partitions..."
>
> Linda Lawson







This thread: