BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-08 > 1249251452

From: GEORGE NEWMAN <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Yonts family--Lawrence Younts
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:17:32 -0700 (PDT)

My great great grandfather's family lived in a small, hidded mountain cove in east Tennessee.  A very isolated place even today.  He had been taken by the Union soldiers while he was tending to his horse out in the forest near the cove.  I really don't think any of the slave family left.  Some of the black family were still living there into the 1940's close to our family farm.   At that time they worked on the farm for pay.

Unfortunately my father was rather racially prejudice, but he thought the world of this family.  I guess they were the only black people that he ever had anything good to say about.

As you have probably guessed dad was not COB, his father was COB but his mother was Methodist.  Dad split his time between the two then when he married he and mother became members  of the Baptist church.

 George and Sherry IN GOD WE TRUST