BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-08 > 1249249726

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Yonts family--Lawrence Younts
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:48:46 -0400

I don't know the details of your story, but all slaves in Confederate
territory occupied by the Union were freed by the Emancipation Proclamation
of 1862. Prior to that, various Union general's enforced their own local
emancipation. Some of those slaves stayed on as laborer's, and many other's
took advantage of their new found freedom and left. Point is that if she
was living in Union occupied territory, they legally were no longer slaves.
Now if they lived in a Union state, slavery was still enforce after the
emancipation (as odd as that sounds), unless the state took action to
abolish it. That is why they needed the 13th Amendment passed in 1865.

Bill Thomas