BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-06 > 1244464987

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: [BRE] Mast/Hoover
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 08:43:07 -0400

(sending again, since this it appears to have gone through)

I agree that the Revolutionary War veteran status of John Mast Jr. is quite
dubious.

Checking my "Amish & Amish Mennonite Genealogies", I see a John Mast married
to Barbara, with John being the brother of Jacob Mast. They list John's 12
children, one of which married Daniel Hoover, another David Hoover, and
another Henry Fouts. They note that John and his family lived in Randolph
County, NC.

This Mast family was Swiss Anabaptist in Europe. John's brother Jacob was
an Amish Bishop married to Magdalena Hooley, and they lived in Berks County,
PA.

There were two primary destinations for Swiss emigrants. One was
Pennsylvania and the other was the Carolina's.

John was either Amish or Mennonite, and many Amish and Mennonites joined the
German Baptist faith. Members of all these faiths would go to jail before
joining the military.

Another branch of this same family came to Somerset County, PA as Amish,
including Magdalena Maust, the daughter of John Mast's cousin. Magdalena
married Michael Thomas a noted German Baptist from Fayette County, PA.

Bill Thomas

This thread: