BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2009-05 > 1242064021

From: "Wayne Webb" <>
Subject: [BRE] Gospel Messenger Offering - 1889
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:47:01 -0400

CORESPONDENCE

>From New Mexico.

After reading the editorial in MESSENGER No. 18, about the basket of fine
fruit sent by Mr. G. L. McDonough, from New Mexico, Bro. P. S. Brubaker, my
wife and left Lyons, Kans., Dec. 17, en route for the Territory. We
traveled over the famous A. T & S. F. R, R., to Raton, N. M., where we were
furnished a team and, driver by the Maxwell Land Co., who took us about
forty miles south over their vast tract of fine land, to their system of
irrigation. Traveling south from Raton, we passed through the Crow Creek
Valley, into the beautiful Vermejo, where the first ditch is located, the
water being taken from the Vermejo River through a ditch 24 feet wide and 13
miles long, striking the plain on the highest point, and giving a chance of
carrying the water through laterals, both ways from the ditch. On the line
of the ditch they have sixteen large reservoirs, or lakes, which they will
fill, and from which they can draw, in case the river will not afford enough
water during the dry season. The soil is of the very best, and, with plenty
of water, will grow any kind of crop that is raised in that climate,
although it is not a farming country at present, the chief industries being
the raising of cattle, mining, lumbering, and the cultivation of fruit and
vegetables. The Territory is mountainous, with rich valleys. We visited
Mr. J. B. Dawson's farm and orchard, where we saw some very fine trees for
their age. Mr. Dawson has 1,500 apple trees, ranging in age from two to
seventeen years. He has 800 trees four years old; 250, of the Ben Davis
variety, averaged two-thirds of a barrel to the tree. His apple crop last
year made 500 barrels, which he sold in the orchard at four cents per pound.
He has a large orchard of pear trees four years old, which made one bushel
to the tree, and sold at ten cents per pound. He had 75 bushels of Early
Richmond cherries, which he sold at eight cents per pound, 175 bushels of
plums at six cents per pound. He has had a large peach crop; his trees,
though seventeen years old now, have had a full crop for ten years, and are
yet as thrifty as any young trees. Butter sells at 35 to 50 cents per
pound; eggs, 25 to 40 cents per dozen; lumber at the mills is worth $10 to
$14 per thousand feet; coal at the mines sells at $1.25 per ton. Wood is
plenty and cheap. The climate is mild and, they claim, very healthy. Land
under the ditch sells at $12.50 per acre, one-seventh cash, balance in six
annual payments at seven per cent interest.

We attended one meeting at Raton. So far as we could learn, there are no
members in the Territory. There are many things to consider before locating
there, but any one with a few cows, poultry, and a few acres in garden could
do well. All kinds of produce will always bring a good price, as the miners
consume more than can be raised there. Raton is a division on the road,
where the Company has a large repair shop, roundhouse and large coal mines.
The monthly payment to the hands in the shops and mines amounts to $65,000.

Any one having a desire of locating there had better go there and
investigate for himself. That country is included in the Master's language
when he said, "Go into all the world and teach all nations." The society
seems to be as good as could be expected among the class that are in the
majority. I. H. CRIST.

Olathe, Kans.

>From Virden, Ill,

This morning (Jan. 9, '89) finds the writer in the pleasant home of Eld.
Joseph Harshbarger. The last point at which we labored for the Lord's cause
in a continued meeting, before leaving Missouri, was with the Brethren in
the Dry Fork church, Jasper county. This congregation is under the
oversight of Eid. Wm. Harvy. They built themselves a good, comfortable
meeting-house. They have a good country to show to you, and will divide it
with you for a reasonable consideration. My stay with them was too short to
finish up the work as it should have been. From that point we came to our
home in Centre View, Mo., and spent one Lord's day with the little flock at
that place. Then, again boarding the train for Illinois, the first place of
work was with the disciples and people of the West Otter Creek congregation,
in Macoupin county. My aim was to divide six weeks between three
congregations, but when the two weeks were up at Otter Creek, it was clearly
to be seen that it was not the part of wisdom to close then. So we decided
to give them four more days, and when these four days were up, it was
manifested, beyond a question of doubt, that the time had not yet come to
close. But we did close at that place, and moved about four miles to the
Pleasant Hill congregation, and a goodly number from the Otter Creek are
still attending here.

Now, perhaps, a good many are ready to inquire, "Why hurry home so soon?" I
answer, Because of the home church. We need an elder to locate among us who
can be there regularly. Bro. Witmore and I are both away a great portion of
our time, and it seems next to impossible to have it otherwise. Being
afflicted as I am, I can do nothing for myself or family. To remain and
fill the appointments at the home church, twice or three times a month, and
so many calla for the doctrine to be preached, and the principles of our
church to be established,-I confess that I can not see my way clear to do
it. Can we not find a brother somewhere, who will locate among us, and care
for the home church? Let us hear from you. Address the undersigned at
Centre View, Mo. A. HUTCHISON.

>From Middle Creek Church, Somerset Co., Pa.

According to previous arrangements, Bro. Z. Annon, from Taylor county, West
Virginia, came among us Dec. 15th, and commenced preaching in the Fairview
meeting-house the same evening. He continued until the evening of Dec.
26th, delivering, in all, seventeen discourses. Believers were encouraged
on their way Zionward, and sinners were warned to flee the wrath to come.

Four precious souls left the ranks of Satan and applied for admittance into
the fold. They were young in years, ranging from twelve to fourteen years
old. May they be bright and shining lights, and show by their conversation
and conduct that they are no more the children of this world! There are
others who are halting between two opinions. May they not put off the one
thing needful until it will be forever too late! U. D. BRAUCHER.

>From Sand Brook Church, N. J.

The brethren and sisters of this church were very much built up and
encouraged to press on, by the coming of the following brethren among us.

Nov. 17th Bro. Jonas H. Price, Jr., from the Springfield church, Bucks
county, Pa., came and labored with us until the 22nd, when he was compelled
to go home. We wanted him to remain with us longer, but he could not do so
at that time. Bro. Price is a skillful expounder of the Word.

Nov. 20th Bro. Hilary Crouthamel and wife, from the Hatfield church,
Montgomery county, Pa, accompanied by Bro. S. R. Zug and wife, from
Lancaster county, drove over to our meeting, a distance of about
twenty-eight miles. That evening Bro. Zug preached a very interesting and
able sermon from Mark 4: 38. They were only with us for one meeting.

On the 22nd Bro. F. P. Cassel, also from the Hatfield church, came to us and
continued the meeting. We were glad to see him in our midst again.

On the 24th Bro. Jacob Conner, from Chester county, also came to assist us
in our meetings, and remained with us until the following Monday. This was
the first time Bro. Conner has ever ben with us. He enjoyed his visit with
us, and we hope he may be spared to come again.

During our meetings we had good attendance and attention. One precious soul
came out on the Lord's side, and was baptized.

>From here we went up to Kingwood, a distance of about five or six miles, and
held almost a week's meeting. Bro. Cassel preached for them on Monday
evening, and started for his home on Tuesday morning. The people up there
seem to be anxious to have the Brethren preach for them. Although we had no
additions while there, yet we hope lasting impressions were made. We need
help here in New Jersey. Brethren, come soon again. C. W. MOORE.

Notes by the Way.

December 14th we boarded the train for West Virginia, and arrived at
Martinsburg the same evening. We had a meeting on the 15th. On the 16th we
went south, near Teetown, and held meetings at a school-house until the
27th. We then returned to Martinsburg and held meetings there, and in the
school-house near town, till the following Sunday evening. This is where
Bro. John Brindle labors. He has a large territory, and the members live
somewhat scattered. Bro. I. Turner is his co-laborer. Bro. Brindle is the
elder, and, I think, makes great sacrifices for the cause. Here is room for
the missionaries. Much labor needs to be done on the outskirts, and among
the isolated and the poor, who are often neglected as to their spiritual
wants.

If we could only get all our brethren and sisters to see the need of aiding
the missionary work! O the good we might do! We should send tracts to
every land and nation. Then, too, we have good German brethren; why not
send them back to the land of the first Brethren? S. H. MYERS.

>From Farwell, Texas.

Our Sunday-school in Farwell is an "Evergreen." We are continuing every
Sunday. The teacher of the juvenile class told her pupils some time ago
that if they would attend regularly, she would give them a present on
Christmas.

My wife and I were specially invited to attend school upon that occasion.
The teacher desired me to talk to the children about Christmas and about
Christ, and I consented, and when the talk was ended, we were invited to
partake of a few refreshments. The table was spread with watermelons,
cakes, candies, pea-nuts, etc. These nice, red, sweet watermelons were
grown right here. They were not "shipped in," as they would have to be at
many other places, in order to have them on Christmas. You can not surpass
the Panhandle of Texas in watermelons and evergreen Sunday-schools. The
weather all through December has been very nice. JOHN WISE.

>From Cold Water Church, Greene, Butler Co., Ia.

December 27th, at the close of some meetings held by Bro. David Eby, two
young sisters came out on the Lord's side.

Bro. J. F. Ikenberry, our elder, then continued the meeting Friday and
Saturday evenings, when one more, a young man, came out boldly and made the
good confession. All three were baptized on Sunday, Dec. 30th, in the clear
waters of the Shell Rock River. It was a solemn scene, and witnessed by a
large crowd of spectators.

Since that time one more has made application for baptism. Two were
reclaimed that had withdrawn their membership several years ago. J. D.
SHOOK.

Wayne Webb

This thread: