BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-11 > 1227736733

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Brethren & Civil War Service or Evasion?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:58:53 -0500

Tom Flory explained the process from a Confederate perspective. The Union
perspective was similar. You paid a fee ($300) or you obtained a
substitute, and that way you avoided the draft. Back then $300 was a lot of
money, so the rich had an easy time of avoiding the draft. Many people
didn't like the draft for non-religious reasons. You have the famous draft
riots in New York City that happened a few days after Gettysburg.
Sappington has a good explanation of the problems related to the draft in
Virginia in his work 'Brethren in the New Nation'. Fellow Brethren helped
raise the needed money to pay the exemption fees for those who couldn't come
up with the cash.

Bill Thomas