BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-07 > 1215016629

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Pietists & Anabaptists
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:37:09 -0400

I understand the point Merle is making, but to get technical, Pietism,
Anabaptism, and pacifism are not necessarily connected. The original
Anabaptists were far from being pacifists, with the Munster incident (16th
century) an example. Munster was a town taken over by Anabaptists,
resulting in a military siege. The Mennonite's and their offshoot the Amish
instituted pacifism into the picture. The English Baptists were also
influenced by Anabaptist theology, but they also were far not pacifists.

Anyway, the lengthy list of Brethren names in the
non-associator/non-enroller lists show that significant numbers of Brethren
were pacifists during the Revolution. Many of the early Brethren were also
Mennonite/Amish converts. I read that one reason the Northkill Berks County
Amish settlement moved to Somerset County, was to get away from the Dunkard
influence. That influx of Mennonite/Amish may also be one of the reasons
for the demise of the pietism the Merle speaks of.

Bill Thomas