BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-04 > 1207766922

From: Ron Snowden <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Elder Michael Fouts
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:48:42 -0600

Dave, we need to pow-wow on this one. I have an ancillary entry for
the David E. Hoover/Mary Mast and am unable to sort it out this
morning. My comments earlier have been taken from the book titled
"Memoir of David Hoover." This is available online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~inwayne/references.htm

Quoting directly from the book: Part I, written in 1854 by (himself)
I was born on a small water-course, called Huwaree, a branch of
the Yadkin river, in Randolph County, North Carolina, on the 14th day
of April, 1781... (Punctuation and spelling are as itis.)
If my information is correct, my grandfather, Andrew Hoover, left
Germany when a boy; married Margaret Fouts, in Pnnsylvania; and
settled on Pipe creek in Maryland. There my father was born; and from
thence, now about one hundred years ago, he removed to North Carolina,
then a new country.
Rudolph Waymire, my grandfather on my mother's side, emigrated
from Hanover Germany after he had several children.
My father had a family of ten children, four sons and six daughters.
On the 19th of september, 1802, we loaded our wagon, and wended our
way toward that portion of what was then called the Northwest
Territory which constitutes the present state of Ohio.
After crossing the river, we pushed on to Stillwater, about twelve
miles north of Dayton, in what is now the county of Montgomery
My father then purchased two hundred acres of land, not far from
Lebanon, Indiana Warren County, as a home.
Thus time passed on until the spring of 1806...
it was not until the last of may or the first of June that the
first entries were made. John Smith then entered south of Main
street, where Richmond now stands...
(References to Society of Friends, and meeting minutes)
I therefore married a girl named Catharine Yount, near the Great
Miami; on the last day of March 1807.

AND the book goes on to discuss his being a judge.

Montgomery County, Ohio is in reality quite close to Wayne and Fayette
Counties in Indiana. It appears that THIS david moved there in 1806.

Now that I think about it, I have looked at this before and was
confused. I still am. Perhaps I have missed something this morning,
as I am busy with a project with a wife that wants it done--but the
trail the book develops appears logical; even tough there could be a
conflict with the Hoover/Mast marriage. Last summer, did you and I
discuss this? I think we may have.

If you have interest, contact me off line and we can continue this and
finish other things we were doing a while ago. I am heading to
Indiana next month for research, and perhaps can resolve this and any
other issues outstanding. Come on to SLC and let's figure it out.

I am interested in further commentary on this from anyone interested.

Ron Snowden
Orem, Utah