BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-04 > 1207702869

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Elder Michael Fouts...Troyer
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:01:09 -0400

Re: Minister Daniel Troyer:

Not sure if this is of any value, but perusing the Mennonite obits from the
1870's, there was a Joseph Troyer from Wayne County (wrong side of the state
from Montgomery) that was listed as a member of the River Brethren. All the
other early Troyer obits were Amish, although most lived in Ohio or Indiana.
A number of descendents of Michael Troyer immigrated to Holmes County, Ohio
in the early 1800's, and I believe they were all Amish. Wayne County is
next to Holmes, so Joseph is likely tied to this Troyer family (probably why
he made the obit), but it does show Troyer's who had a Brethren affiliation.

I would question if Daniel was Mennonite in the 1850's (especially if he was
tied to this Troyer family), since the Amish divisions that caused many to
become Mennonite occurred after this. However, Amish becoming Brethren was
a common even before the American Revolution.

Bill Thomas

This thread: