BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2008-02 > 1202767576

From: "Wayne Webb" <>
Subject: [BRE] Gospel Messenger Vol. 25, No. 9, p. 139, Mar. 1, 1887
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:06:16 -0500

Afternoon List,

I find the following to be an interesting item. It is one of the rare instances where I have seen the congregational lines so clearly defined. Enjoy.

Another Church Organized in Kansas.
On Tuesday, Feb. 1st, 1887, the brethren and sisters of Barton County, Kan., assembled at school-houss- No. 93, and, with the assistance of brethren M. M. Eshelman, John Hollinger and Abram Shepler, were organized into a church to be known as the "Walnut Valley Church." This name was adopted because the brethren here are located in a beautiful valley, traversed by two streams, called the Dry and Wet Walnut. The valley is also traversed by trhe Colorado and Walnut Valley R. R.
The east boundary line is the line between Barton, Rice and Ellsworth counties; the south is the Arkansas River; west, the lnie between Kansas and Colorado; and to the north the south line of the north tier of Townships of Barton County and extending due west to Colorado. By referring to the map you will see that this boundary encloses a large territory, and includes nearly all of Greely, Wichita, Scott, Lane, Ness, Rush, Barton, Pawnee, Hodgman, and a large portion of Edwards, Ford, Finney and Hamilton counties; a territory that needs one hundred more good, zealous ministers to teach and to preach the gospel of the Kingdom. There are brethren in nearly (if not all) the above-named counties; but they have few ministers and few meetings.
There are a number of brethren in Scott County and it is hoped an organization can soon be effected there. Organizations in Rush, Lane and Ness counties could soon be formed if the proper assistance could be given them. The great need of Western Kansas is more good, zealous ministers, and the greatest need is a number of good faithful elders to oversee and take charge of the work.
Ye ministers and elders of the eastern States, how long are you going to stay where you are not needed? How long are you yet going to be deaf to the Savior's "Go ye" in the gospel, and the Brethren's "Come ye" to the West? The Walnut Valley Church has a membership of about eighty; thirty of which live in the south-west part of Barton County, and the others are scattered in the counties above named. Our ministry being unable to fill the many calls for preaching, it was decided to call another brother to the ministry. The lot fell upon Bro. Michael Keller. After being properly encouraged and fuly instructd, Bro. Keller was installed into his office. He earnestly desires the fervent prayers of the righteous in his behalf, that, by the grace of God, he may be a faithful minister of the word. The writer was advanced to the second degree of the ministry; and, dear brethren, he keenly feels the sense of responsibilities now placed upon him, and earnestly desires your prayers, your advice, your encouragement and your reproofs, that he may ever be found in the path of duty.
Our much esteemed elder (Bro. George Elliot) is growing quite infirm and much desires that some worthy elder might come to his assistance. A cleark, treasurer, trustee, and missionary solicitors, were also elected. Our prayer is that the Walnut Valley Church may ever by destitute of the "lawless and disobedient."
The brethren while with us gave us a number of good sermons, and we trust they will come to our assitance often. Brethren traveling are requested to stop with us.
Correspondence answered and information cheerfully given. Enclose stamps.
L. Allenbaugh
Great Bend, Kansas.

NOTE:
Lincoln Allenbaugh, the writer of the above item, was born in the bounds of the Northeastern District of Ohio on Mar. 7, 1861 (most likely Ashland county), the son of Samuel Allenbaugh (1816-1895) and Mary 'Meyers' Allenbaugh (1823-1895). Samuel and Mary were both natives of Meyersdale, Somerset county, Pennsylvania. Lincoln Allenbaugh married Alice Dentler on Mar. 21, 1882, but their marriage was a short one.
Lincoln was first elected to the ministry in the Loudonville church of Ashland county, Ohio, where his father, Samuel, was a deacon. This was most likely in the Plum Run house of that church. Lincoln, after aiding in the forming of the Walnut Valley church, died on Sept. 10, 1887, in Barton county, Kansas. His obituary reads as follows:

"ALLENBAUGH.-In Walnut Valley church, Barton Co., Kan., Sept. 10, of typhoid fever, Bro. Lincoln Allenbaugh, aged 26 years, 6 months and 3 days.
He was a minister in the second degree, and discharged his duty manfully in the fear of the Lord. Services by Bro. D. B. Martin and Bro. M. Keller, from Job. 14: 14.
Augustus Bush."

The Walnut Valley church would survive for some forty years and was last listed in the Yearbook of 1928 with only twelve members.

Wayne Webb
Editor: Brethren Roots

This thread: