BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-12 > 1199043233

Subject: [BRE] what is their REAL name?
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:33:53 -0500

Before the advent of Birth Certificates [not until 1912 in Virginia], how do you decide what a person's REAL name is? I have a number of relatives who used more than one version of their name during their lives. The most common variant was being recorded in the Family Bible or baptised with a first and middle name, and presumably because they went by their middle name they reversed the order later in life [as shown on marriage records, tombstones, etc.][eg Levi Samuel SHAVER became Samuel Levi SHAVER, Ruth Anne FLORY became Annie Ruth, etc]. The examples I'm giving were used repeatedly in formal documents, so they were not one time errors.?I also have cases where the?Family Bible?names were just tossed out entirely, and another name was used the rest of their lives - the family only recorded one child born that day, but by the time the child [right sex, right age, right family] is in school they are using entirely different forenames. Since there was no offical record of the!
ir birth, there did not appear to be a requirement for any court action.

Thom Flory