BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-12 > 1197045555

Subject: [BRE] Deeds don't always exist either so can't be counted on inplace of wills
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:39:15 -0500

In many cases it seems that only one child took over the house or sold the house?and later (on his own, undocumented)?distributed the proceeds to the heirs.?

In one case with my Revolutionary war era ancestor he left the home to his very youngest son, sired when he was a senior citizen, or about 65.? No deed was ever recorded.? His great granddaughters even grew up in that home, and both died in the last couple of years and were about 100 years.? But during their lives they claimed their grandfather was a grandson of the Rev. war man, not a son. That seemed strange to me, because that would have meant at the death of the Revolutionary war era ancestor his home should have been sold to a grandson then, which would have been a younger son of a middle son of the Revolutionary war era ancestor.? I later found out that the man they claimed descent from moved out west and died out there and was a different person, a nephew to their grandfather, so then deduced that the home had been left to the very youngest son.?Which was common, as was mentioned on this list. ?I doubt the chain of title if it could be found today would list any of th!
e other numerous children if the deed had been drawn up during my Revolutionary war era ancestor's life, else these sisters would have known their real descent.? These deeds you mention as sometimes having much information are where the deceased dies possessed of real estate, and then the heirs dispose of the property.? But often the executor/administrator, often the oldest son, would sell the property in his own name and then probably distribute the proceeds later to all his siblings or their heirs.?

I know there are some estates that will list all the heirs, and a few land documents with names of all the heirs, but this seems to have been the exception in PA.? So I don't think anyone should count on going to any courthouse to have all their questions answered.?Or if you go then go with low expectations, and with a skeptic eye. ?Even some people who live right in PA where their ancestors lived have their lines all messed up! These late elderly sisters' incorrect?family connections have been posted by their county's "historian", perpetuated now through numerous Rootsweb postings.? Its not the fault of anyone here, as no one would have thought of trying to extend their focus way out west to extended family who left PA. So I still think "irrefutable circumstantial evidence" is often the route most will have to take in documenting their PA Dutch families.

Richard

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/mailtour/aol/en-us/text.htm?ncid=aolcmp00050000000003

This thread: