BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-06 > 1182308029

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Andrew Hoover, 1722...More Huber
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:53:49 -0400

Kim:

In a previous email I noted two Mennonite Huber's from Lancaster County
(Hans Ulrich, and Jacob). There are 1770 vintage wills that appear to be
for both men in Warwick Township. However, there is the following will for
Martic Township that was adjacent Manor Township at that time.

HUBER, HENRY Martic Twp.
August 7, 1757 December 29, 1757
Children: John and Elizabeth.
Ex.: Martin Bear and Henry Huber

Martin Bear, could be Martin Bare, a Mennonite Bishop who also lived in this
area, and who died in 1758, or his son Martin Bare who married Elizabeth
Herr. The Bare family had some marriage connections to the Schenk's in
Europe.

My Schenk info also notes that Michael Schenk (brother of John Schenk I) had
a land warrant with Henry Bar(e) in Strasburg Township, that they sold to
Henry Hoober in 1733.

My Schenk info also includes a Barbara Schenk who married Jacob Huber of
Strasburg Township. Jacob was the son of Ulrich Huber of Conestoga. Jacob
was born in 1728. Ulrich is the previously mentioned early Mennonite
immigrant. Barbara was the daughter of Jacob Schenk, a cousin of Michael
Schenk.

Then we have Margaret Schenk, a sister of Jacob Schenk. She married Jacob
Graff, and they joined the Ephrata Cloister. Their daughter Margaret Graff
married Ludwig Huber, son of a Jacob Huber. They were married in 1750 at
Lancaster Trinity Lutheran Church (not an indicator that they were Lutheran,
since marriages required a recognized minister to be legal).

There are two other Huber/Hoover marriages with Schenk's from later
generations.

The source of most of this info is a 1/1994 Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage
article.

Also look at the PA Genweb site for Lancaster County. There is a biography
on a David H. Huber of Martic Township, whose family was Mennonite.

Bill Thomas