BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-02 > 1170616151

From: "Vivian Markley" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Dunkards
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:09:11 -0500

When I was a teenage at Oakland in 1965-1966, the Dunkards held the Annual
Meeting on a farm close to us and the Oakland Church of the Brethren helped
to prepare the meals. I get amused at my husband as anytime we see anyone
in garb or with a horse and buggy, he calls them Amish. Also, we have a big
range in our area of Dunkards, some are horse and buggy while others drive
cars.
In my opinion, there is still closeness between the two groups here in the
Western Ohio region. It is not unusual to have a marriage between a the two
groups or go to a Tupperware party that is attended by both. One of the
best restaurants around was in Covington, Ohio and the owners and operators
were Dunkards. Jerry Office who owned the Ponderosa bought it in hopes of
improving his Scotties Restaurants. It did not work. In my humble opinion,
there is just no way anyone can copy the expertise that the COB and Dunkard
women have when it comes to home cooking.