BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-02 > 1170560047

From: "John/Bea Knarr" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] The Dunkards - A Remarkable Gathering
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 22:34:07 -0500

The gatherings at these annual meetings in latter half of nineteenth century
were generally very large, much larger than we might expect. It was not
unusual to have twenty to forty thousand or more in attendance, as was the
case here in North Manchester in 1880s, when reporters estimated the total
to be perhaps as many as sixty thousand attendees. The story of how the
crowds were fed, housed, along with the numerous temporary structures
erected, the logistics and economics of it all is a most fascinating story.
Trains of course were an important means of transportation, and train cars
on a siding here in North Manchester were even used for accommodations.

John Knarr
North Manchester