BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2007-01 > 1167970254

From: "Robert Carpenter" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Presbyterian
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 23:10:54 -0500

In the material I have seen which reference German Presbyterians they almost
always are describing a German Reformed Church. It is my understanding that
the Reformed faith derived most of its beliefs from Ulrich Zwingli, who
collaborated with John Calvin, but who also broke with him. This is
especially true of Swiss Germans.

In my area of North Carolina many Reformed congregations became Presbyterian
because of the scarcity of Reformed ministers and the presence of more
Presbyterian ministers. In addition as the 1820's and 30's came upon people
the German language became less a factor in defining religious persuasion.

That is my opinion,

Robert Carpenter