BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2006-09 > 1158878678

Subject: [BRE] William R. Smith ancestry
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:44:38 -0600

Dear Merle and Wayne

Thank you for your response. Yes, it does seem that some of this is coming
together. One of Wm R's granddaughters, Isabel Smith married Jacob Deardorff
in Putnam County, Ind. Jacob's parents were Catherine Harshbarger and John
Deardorff. Maybe this is just a coincidence that you mentioned Harshbarger in
your message, but it seems I’m finding lots of coincidences with William Smith.

Census records in Putnam County, IND show William R. Smith in the 1830 census as
between the ages of 70 to 80. That puts his birth year around 1750 - 1760.
>From your message, I see that you think he might be too young, but could be the
son of William Smith the preacher who worked with Jacob Miller. So, that’s an
interesting angle that I’ll look at. And yes, I agree. There are so many
SMITHS. I have to be extremely careful linking people together without some
solid evidence. I would appreciate any information that you might have on
William Smith. The more I can find out about him, the better. Thank you so
much. Janie Smith