BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2006-09 > 1158787306

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] William R. Smith, Ladoga
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:21:46 -0400

Yes - it was called the Ladoga Church - Elder Daniel Miller and his
family were among the first there -over in Parke Co, I've named some of
the others who went. We had a number of families move there from the
Four Mile - before moving on west.

Albert Harshbarger gave me considerable information on the church - but
he died some years ago at Timbercrest Home at North Manchester IN. His
son, Dick Harshbarger, was a classmate of mine at Manchester College,
and remained there as a Professor. I asked him one time about
information on the Ladoga Church - and he said to ask his dad!

I'm still trying to unpack my library (house remodelling) - and I don't
have access right now to one of my copies of Winger's History of the
Church of the Brethren in Indiana - to check! (they are in one of those
many stacks of books in the front bedroom - and back far enough I can't
see them!) - I think I remember a William Smith listed there as the
first pastor - and I was wondering what connection he might have to the
Four Mile William and to the Franklin Co VA William! -but SMITH - there
are So Many! (not necessarily Brethren though) - loose strands are
beginning to come together!!!

Merle C Rummel
Church Historian

> Merle: Thank you for your reply. Do you know if there was a Church of the
> Brethren in Putnam County? It would be interesting to see if there are any
> church records there that would be helpful in my search for the Smiths.
> Thanks. Janie Smith

This thread: