BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2006-09 > 1158720058

Subject: [BRE] William R. Smith genealogy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:40:58 -0600

Dear Merle: Thank you for your reply to my inquiry. I am in the early stages
of my search on William R. Smith so I wish I had more to share with you. What
I do know about him is this. He purchased government land in Putnam County,
Indiana, two adjacent pieces of land, in 1825 and 1826. The records at the
General Land office show that he is William R. Smith from Union County,
Indiana. This is the same property that was later sold (to Christian Fosher)
after William’s death in 1839 and listed in his probate record in Putnam
County, Indiana. His heirs on this probate record include John Smith who
married Elizabeth Moss. Her father was Francis Moss and they are listed in your
Virginia Settlement manuscript. I have been able to find marriage records of
some of William's other heirs (presumably his children) in Franklin County and
Montgomery County, Virginia. My line, which is William R. Smith’s son, Ervin
Smith, can be traced to Franklin County, Virginia, where Ervin is listed on an
1820 census record.

William R. Smith was a Minister of the Gospel and performed some marriages in
Putnam County, Indiana, including Christian Fosher who married Emily Bun?ant on
16 July 1830 (could be Bunderant) and others, not only his son, John who married
Elizabeth Moss, but also a number of grandchildren that are part of my line.

You mentioned in your email response that you have linked some ancestors in
Union County to William R. Smith. I would be most interested in learning how
the ancestors in Union County link to him. My preliminary search shows that
all his children moved to Putnam County. So it would be of great interest to
learn the connection with those still in Union County.

In a church history about Putnam County, Indiana, there is no mention of the
Church of the Brethren. So, any help you can provide me in finding COB records
for Putnam County, if they exist, is most appreciated. Thank you. Janie Smith

----- Forwarded message from Merle C Rummel <> -----