BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2006-02 > 1139576735

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] REV. RIFE
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:05:35 -0500

Which line are you? - please keep in touch! (I'll try on any questions)
Have you seen our book? - Henning and Rummel, "The Toney Family"
I've summarized some of it at The Virginia Colony site:
http://www.union-county.lib.in.us/GenwebVA4mile
-under "Toney"

We didn't find proof of the service in the Revolution. We do have
two-three supporting family traditions -Carey and Poindexter (twins)
fought at Yorktown (about 16 years old). I heard this from Poindexter's
family also. Poindexter stayed in Virginia (Boone Co WVa now) and was
active in several militia actions -including the Indian battle at Point
Pleasant. Carey received Poindexter's lands out here in Ohio. Older
brother, Edmund, was a Sgt in the Bedford Co Militia at Yorktown,
according to his descendents (probably Carey and Poindexter were under
him). Their tradition says that he was one of 6 brothers who fought in
the Revolution, which would require the inclusion of the twins.

Carey is buried in the Lybrook-Railsback Cemetery (Brethren) here at the
Four Mile (on the Indiana side of the state line, just south of where I
live, at Boston IN -about 1 mile south of IN227 - State Line Road, back
west near Four Mile Creek). Carey's log cabin is almost certainly the
back (an early ice house) of the big house in Preble Co OH near there,
where his son Harmon (our line) lived (picture at the Library site).
Harmon is also buried at Lybrook Cemetery, but since then we are all
buried at the Concord Church (Church of Christ) Cemetery, about 1 mile
east of Harmon's house (where Carey was a charter member).

Merle Rummel
> I am a direct descendant of Carey Toney, and would like to know if you
> have any more information of him and his family.
> I am a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, due to his
> service in the Revolution.

This thread: