BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-12 > 1134882048

From: "Vivian Markley" <>
Subject: RE: [BRE] Re: Elder Jacob Miller
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:02:18 -0500

I do have a little more info on Dr Peter Smith. Dr Smith always lived just
north of Donnelsville and was definitely a devout Baptist. I am not sure
where the date came from but his original land purchase was 1804 and he was
already living at Duck Creek. Land records can be confusing as these
counties have changed names a good bit.

"In the maternal line the subject of this sketch derives his descent from
the Rev. Peter Smith, who was born in Wales in 1753, and in early life came
to America, settling in New Jersey, where he married Catherine Stout, whence
he afterward removed to Georgia. In one of these states his son Samuel,
grandfather of our subject, was born. Peter Smith practiced medicine and
preached the Gospel, leaving his Southern home on account of his dislike to
the institution of slavery. Turning his footsteps northward he located in
Kentucky, the removal being made with pack horses. Mrs. Smith had three
small children, the youngest of whom she carried in her arms, the others
(twins) traveling in baskets tied together and placed before her. After
spending a short time in Kentucky they came into the Northwest Territory, in
1794-95, locating in Hamilton County. The records of the old Baptist Church
at Duck Creek, Columbia Station, near Cincinnati, show that the Rev. Peter
Smith and his wife Catherine united with that church by letter in 1795, and
that the husband was ordained minister in 1801. In an account of the
Centennial Celebration held June 21, 1890, of this the first Baptist Church
in the Northwest Territory, the Cincinnati Commercial Gazette says, "In
1801, under Elder Peter Smith's preaching, a great revival came, and in a
few months over one hundred and fifty members were added to the church". In
1805 they came to Clark County, and near the present site of Donnelsville
bought nine hundred and sixty acres of land, which Mr. Smith afterward
divided among his children. He was one of the early ministers of the county,
and at his home, where religious meetings were frequently held, he organized
a society of Christian believers. There he died in 1816, his remains being
buried on his own farm, the place afterward becoming Donnelsville Cemetery."
The last line is incorrect, the Donnelsville Cemetery is across the road.
http://pages.prodigy.net/jhubb22/page13.htm The dates are correct on the
land deeds because that was how I first discoved Dr. Smith, he was the first
'white man' to own live on this land.

Peter Smith's daughter Joanna Smith, granddaughter of Peter married John
Miller son of Frederick Miller of from Augusta Va. Somehow I have escaped
Miller in my lines so I know there are others who will know a lot more than
I. Both being men of the Gospel, I would say most likely southern Ohio and
since Smith was here from 1795 forward, the timespan was much greater for
their paths to cross.

In everything I have read, he seems to have passed through the Carolinas
rather quickly and settled in Georgia, but have not seen a lot of facts. He
traveled constantly, even making trips back to New Jersey to tend a sick
friend. His father Hezekiah was a doctor in Massachuttes.

Vivian