BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-12 > 1134873388

Subject: Re: Elder Jacob Miller
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:36:28 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2005 8:03:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:
Thank you so much for posting this. How interesting, especially given that
we don't have an anecdote for Rabies even yet today, except the shots. I
wonder what the root was.

Does anyone know which Jacob Miller this was? The one most likely based on
age would be the one who married Elizabeth Metzger and Catherine Zimmerman.
Was he a preacher?
Roberta, Vivian and others,
The Jacob Miller referred to by Dr. Peter Smith could only have been
Elder Jacob Miller of what is now Franklin county, Pennsylvania, later of Franklin
county, Virginia, later possibly of Kentucky[for a short period], before
finally settling in what is today Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio
where he died in 1815.
What intrigues me as a journeyman researcher into the early German
Baptist settlers of the Miami Valley of Ohio, is the reference to Elder Jacob having
been somewhat interested in herbal remedies. Is this a reference to the
"non-Annual Meeting Brethren" thought processes, or could it be just a generalized
reference to the standards of the day whereby each household held to what
would be today "folk-remedies"? I would have to assume that it was the latter of
the two.
It is interesting to note that though Peter Smith is reported to have
entered land in Clark county, Ohio in 1813 this is shortly before the death of
Elder Jacob Miller in 1815. Did they know each other prior to 1813? I could not
see Dr. Smith having heard of Elder Miller while living way up in Clark county
and making a trip through the wilds of the wilderness to where Elder Miller
lived. There is something more to this than meets the eye. Does Dr. Peter Smith
perhaps have a travel itinerary from the lower Sheneandoah Valley or North
Carolina where perhaps he met Elder Miller. Or did Dr. Smith at one time live
nearer to Elder Miller in southwestern Montgomery county, Ohio?
I would be interested in this as I am still looking for the ancestors of
my David S. Smith of the Old German Church in western German township,
Montgomery county. All that is known is that he hails from North Carolina and was
born in 1804. As an attendeee, presumably, at the Old German, or more correctly
the Old Dutch, he would have known, and perhaps attended church, with Chrisitan
Arnold who would later become Elder at the Wolf Creek church.
For those of you who may perhaps descend from Elder Christian Arnold
recent research has shown that he is indeed the same Chrisitan Arnold who was a
Justice of the Peace in western German township of the aforementined county. A
detailed examination of the marriages performed by JP Christian Arnold and
Elder Christian Arnold demonstrates the approximate year in which Christian
changed his allegiance from the possible denomination of Mennonite or Universalist
religion held at the Old Dutch to that of the German Baptists. A study of the
available land records is also helpful in this.

Wayne Webb
Brethren Roots Newsletter Editor
Fellowship of Brethren Genealogists: Homepage
Visit my web site at:
Montgomery County, Ohio Research Services

This thread: