BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-09 > 1126227016

From: "Dwayne Wrightsman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Virginia
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:50:16 -0400

Hal,

You might want to take a look at Helen R. Prillaman, PLACES NEAR THE
MOUNTAINS, 1985, pp. 29-38, for a rudimentary discussion of the Brethren
influence in Daleville. Daleville was called New Amsterdam. It was settled
mostly by the Brethren. They first met in homes. Their first church
building was called the Valley Church, located near the present Daleville
Brethren Church. The Nininger family was one of the fixture families of
Daleville. Benjamin F. Nininger and George Layman Jr., both Brethren,
founded the Botetourt Normal School which became Daleville College. The
college folded in 1933 and was absorbed by Bridgewater College. The
Niningers and Laymans married into the Gish family, another important
Brethren family. Other important Brethren families of Daleville were the
Dentons and the Graybills.

(To my knowledge, there were no Gibsons in Daleville.)

Dwayne