BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-08 > 1124902025

From: " Jane Davis" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Gospel Messenger - July 17, 1883
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:47:05 -0500

Wayne--I was surprised you are not aware of the books on the history of
Texas by J. H. Morris (1922) and Ethel Harris (1976, 1979). Both have
material on the early Texas churches.

The book, Brethren on the Southern Plains, by Ethel S. Harris, 1976, p 10
writes of the Williams Creek Church, Cooke County, Texas. Elder Henry
Gephert was the Elder in Charge of the Elbow Creek Church in Grayson County,
vicinity of Whitesboro, and also organized in 1879, April 26. The Williams
Creek church "was organized...May 31, 1879...about eighteen miles west of
Gainesville, near present Saint Jo in Cooke County, with Elder Jacob Berkey
of Grayson County elder-in-charge." (p.10) Cooke County is just south of
the Red River which separates Texas and Oklahoma. Whitesboro is in Grayson
County just to the east of Cooke County, also bordering the Red River
separating Texas and Oklahoma. By 1883 Elder Gephert was the remaining
elder in this area of Texas and, following several tragedies among the
brethren of the area, desired to leave. The Williams Creek congregation
never built a church house although plans had begun for one. Jane Davis.