BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-08 > 1124747809

From: Richard Folkerth <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] was David Brower ... now 'Palestine church'
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:56:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mike and Amber Sellers <> wrote:

> I don't know if this helps any, but according to "Darke County
> History:
> 1875 Atlas of Darke County, Ohio" in the section concerning German
> Township
> (now Liberty) the following was written concerning the number and
> type of
> churches located there:
>
> "Religious meetings were held in houses much earlier, but no church
> building
> was erected till 1826. This was built by the Lutherans, on John
> Ketring's
> farm, in Section 22.

This is the church that I mentioned in my earlier message ... just
south of the German Baptist church ... on the west side of the
Palestine-Richmond road. Beers' Darke County history carries on a
bit more about that church; evidently it was originally called St.
Johns Lutheran, then became a shared church with the Reformed
congregation and still later was known as a German Reformed church.

Seems unusual to me that the Ketring/Kettering family would give land
for churches to two different denominations, but my hard-to-read 1857
plat map seems to show Ketring/Kettering land across the road in
Section 23 that later was occupied by the German Baptist church.
Guess we will leave that mystery to some future researcher!!

DICK FOLKERTH
Dallas

This thread: