Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-08 > 1124747809

From: Richard Folkerth <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] was David Brower ... now 'Palestine church'
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:56:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mike and Amber Sellers <> wrote:

> I don't know if this helps any, but according to "Darke County
> History:
> 1875 Atlas of Darke County, Ohio" in the section concerning German
> Township
> (now Liberty) the following was written concerning the number and
> type of
> churches located there:
> "Religious meetings were held in houses much earlier, but no church
> building
> was erected till 1826. This was built by the Lutherans, on John
> Ketring's
> farm, in Section 22.

This is the church that I mentioned in my earlier message ... just
south of the German Baptist church ... on the west side of the
Palestine-Richmond road. Beers' Darke County history carries on a
bit more about that church; evidently it was originally called St.
Johns Lutheran, then became a shared church with the Reformed
congregation and still later was known as a German Reformed church.

Seems unusual to me that the Ketring/Kettering family would give land
for churches to two different denominations, but my hard-to-read 1857
plat map seems to show Ketring/Kettering land across the road in
Section 23 that later was occupied by the German Baptist church.
Guess we will leave that mystery to some future researcher!!

This thread: