BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-05 > 1116637437

Subject: Re: [BRE] Brueders Thal to Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, pt. 1
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 21:03:57 EDT

I am finding this discussion list so very interesting. I would like to know
if anyone has any information about an Adam Yager(Yeager), in the latter
half of 1700s, who lived in PA, but moved into Woodstock, VA. It is thought
that he had a son known as John of the Piney Woods (also John Yager PW) who
lived in Frederick County, VA. It intrigues me that these Yagers might have been
in the Brethren Society.

John Yager PW and wife of Frederick County, purchased land from a Jacob
Miller, Jr., and wife, Rebecca, on March 11, 1772, in Culpepper County, VA. It
appears that Rebecca Miller was sister to John PW, also, John PW's wife was
named Mary in a subsequent land transaction. (Info from Betty Johnson's book,
FOLLOWING JOHN)

John had a son Joseph (my gggrandfather) m. Sarah Chick(Cheek) in Culpepper
County, VA. They moved to Knox County, KY and ended their lives in Laurel
County, KY (due to divisions of counties). Joseph and Sarah were active in the
Providence Baptist Church at Bush, KY, where they are buried.

While John PW did have a son who married a Yager of the Germanna Settlement
(1717), there doesn't seem to be much interaction between John PW's family and
the Germanna Lutherans, generally. So, I have come to believe that Joseph
came into KY with that early religious movement, as he was on the Knox County,
KY, census in 1810, and I believe he was on the tax list in 1808. Joseph's
son, John Frank Yeager (my ggreatfather) was a Baptist minister. I suspect
they were of the "Old Regular Baptist," but I haven't proven that.

Anyway, those are some of the reasons for my interest. I would appreciate
hearing from anyone that might know anything about the above.
Sarah

This thread: