Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-05 > 1116298464

From: "William Thomas" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Brueders Thal to Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, pt. 2
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:54:24 -0400

One needs to be very careful in dealing with the Miller name in the
Brothersvalley area. The Abraham Miller below referred to in Coopers 40
male families in his "Two Centuries of Brothers Valley COB", was married to
Mary Saylor. He was Brethren and a number of his children are in the
listing of 40. However, his parents were Amish. Abraham was the son of
Peter Miller and Mary Stutzman according to Amish & Amish Mennonite
Genealogy (AAMG). It also shows Peter as the son of 'Indian' John, also
called 'Wounded' John or 'Crippled' John Miller. This line of Millers came
from Berks County to Brothersvalley shortly before the American Revolution,
as part of an Amish migration. Abraham's wife Mary Saylor was Mennonite,
descending from Mennonite Minister Jacob Seiler. The Seiler farm was
adjacent the Peter Miller farm. Should Abraham Miller's brother was Moses
P. Miller a prominent Amish Bishop in Ohio. Virgil Miller's "Anniversary
History of the Family of John 'Hannes' Miller, Sr." has a chapter on Peter
Miller and his children, and talks about those that became Brethren and
those that remained Amish.

Cooper states that the source of the 40 families was Brethren Bishop C. G.
Lint who was prominent in the Meyersdale area after the Civil War (Lint's
family was Lutheran, and he converted to COB). Virgil Miller makes a
statement on page 106 of his book that Cooper erroneously identified a
number of early Amish in Brothersvalley as Brethren or Lutheran.

Bill Thomas