BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-04 > 1114565864

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Methodists
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:37:44 -0500

First - notice -the action was done by the Annual Meeting ELDERS - who
about 1826 told some who were coming out the new National Road (US40
-across Ohio) - asked about these "Strange Brethren" - to "Avoid them"
-I've covered this topic in my paper at;
<www.cob-net.org/docs/brethrenlife.htm>
under "Brethren Frontiers" -paper:"Brethren Pietism"

Elder Adam Hostetler of Shelby Co IN and Elder Peter Han of the Hinkston
Creek Church, Nicholas Co KY - were put on the ban - because they had
been involved with the Great Revival in Kentucky- which ended up going
mostly Campbellite (Church of Christ) - Elder Adam Kerns (of Orange Co
IN) spoke of some 16 congregations of the "Brethren Association" - which
all seem to have gone with the Disciples of Christ (Christian) after the
ban. We were the Baptist Brethren in those days -before we became the
German Baptist Brethren -1830.

Brethren Historian Elder Abraham Cassal says of this action, that we
lost over 1500 families (in the west) -which would have almost been half
the denomination in those days. I've found that some of these went
Methodist, some went with the Revival -Disciples of Christ, some went
Universalist (Pietist -Eternal Restorationist) and some stayed with
local Baptists (but it was the English Baptists -which eventually became
the southern Baptists). - I've been working on these churches in
Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio - my church, Obannon, and Brush Creek -both
in Southern Ohio -seem to be the only churches of that period out here
-that stayed with the Annual Meeting. (the Archives has some of my
findings - the cob-net, per above, has equivalent -paper: Frontier Life)

Merle C Rummel
Church Historian

>>-after the Annual Meeting Elders put some of the Frontier Elders on the Ban.
>>

>What year was this Annual Meeting?

This thread: