BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-04 > 1114373710

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Nettle Creek Church -Indiana
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:15:10 -0500

I've not really worked on the Nettle Creek Church -although my mother
grew up in that congregation. (My Four Mile Church was the opposite
corner of Wayne Co IN) -be aware that the Nettle Creek Church included
members in both Wayne Co and Henry Co IN. The Hardman families were
definitely a part of that church. David and Aaron Miller -sons of Elder
Jacob Miller -were founding ministers at Nettle Creek (1822). Both
wives were Hardman girls -daughters of Solomon Hardman and Anna Mae
Wise. Both families moved up to start the Portage Prairie Church
(northwest of South Bend IN) at denominational request -about 1830.
Winger's History lists also there at Nettle Creek: David Hardman,
Benjamin Hardman and John Hardman. David Hardman was presiding elder
-1850-1864

>Following the discussion of the Hardman and the
>Leathermans, did these families settle over in Wayne County
>andc were they associated with Nettle Creek [I hope I
>spelled that right] Church?

This thread: