BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-04 > 1114169694

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Cumberland Road
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:34:54 -0500

I'm assuming you know that this is the old Cumberland Road - later the
eastern portion of the National Road. It started with General
Braddock's army moving against Fort Duquesne (Pittsburg) during the
French and Indian War (General Washington at Ft Necessity). General
Braddock had started from Frederick Co MD, going through the Middletown
Valley to Hagarstown and Fort Frederick and on to Fort Cumberland. It
branched from Braddock's Road at Redstone Creek at Uniontown PA to
extend through Brownsville (Old Fort Redstone) to Washington PA, to the
Ohio River at Fort Henry (Wheeling WVa) -US 40 is essentially the same
route. It was a major artery of migration for many years -the Brethren
were on or close to it from about 1760.

Merle C Rummel
Church Historian

>First, Cathy Martin and I are both interested also in migration patterns (1)
>from where? to Frederick Co MD to Washington Co PA and (2) from Frederick Co
>MD to Washington Co PA.

This thread: