BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-03 > 1112288839

From: "Baldwin, A Ferne." <>
Subject: RE: [BRE] The Irish and the Dunker...
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:07:19 -0500

There is evidence from Brethren sources of a few events in Christopher
Guice life... lst his joining the Germen Baptist when Michael Frantz was
pastor of Conestoga congregation....2nd as earliest minister of the
Catawba congregation of N. Car. He received a King's Patent for 150
acres of land on the west side of Catawba River on Oct 30, 1756... sold
this land in Mar 1768 to Peter Krits and several years later was
identified by Morgan Edwards (historian) as one of the Brethren
ministers in Va.

In 1784 the state of N. Car. Gave Guice and his sons Christopher and
Jonathan 640 acres of land each for non combatant service for protection
of the Cumberland River settlements (later Davidson Co. Tn) 1780-1782.
His death...Ca. 1795.

I have no further info..

Ferne Baldwin
Manchester College