BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-03 > 1111060862

From: (Sandra Shelly)
Subject: Re: [BRE] The Irish and the Dunker...
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:01:02 -0500

Listmembers,
If the people were Brethren Baptist German Dunkers maybe the Speakers
read the
Scriptures in German, even long after they had
many nonGerman members. Since I am not Catholic I did not realize this
fact, but recently found out the reason the Mass was spoken Latin is
because it was to be a Universal language of the Church, so no matter
where people moved or what language they spoke the message would still
be the same. This might have been true as the German Dunkers first
settled in the the US and changed through the years. There were many
diverse settlements early on in the history of the US, but there were
also many regions that were primarily of one
Ethnic group. I would imagine with folks in
Pennsylvania being called Pa. Dutch,,
many did speak German and probably German
was spoken more than we realize in the
United States. There was a time when German
was a required class for premed students.

With Regards
Sandra

This thread: