BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-03 > 1110749902

From: "Gale Honeyman" <>
Subject: RE: [BRE] Re: Nicholas MARTIN
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:38:22 -0500

From the Bible, translated from the German, as found in the Fendrick
Papers located in the Kittochtinny Historical Society, Chambersburg PA.

"I, Nicklauss Martin, was born in Zeisselbert, in the year of our Lord
1721, about the 3rd of April, in Sickinghishen land near Ruhll land on
the hill near Hermerssberg and Wesselberg"

"My wife Sussana was born in the year of our Lord 1727 about Easter"

My own comment, based on what John Hale Stutesman wrote: Susannah is
thought to have been a daughter of the emigrant Stephen Ulrich, likely
based on a number of inter-exchanges between Nicholas Martin and Ulrich
family members.

GESH

> Nicholas Martin b 3 Apr 1721 in Sickinghishen, Palatinate, m Susannah
> Ulrich b about Easter 1727. I need to recheck the notebook as I have
in
> my record, Ulrich? The children were:
> 1 Elizabeth b 8 Oct 1757 [no mate listed]
> 2 Hans Nicholas b 28 Nov 1759 [m 3 May 1785 Susannah Zug, d/o Jacob &
1)
> Elizabeth]
> 3 Daniel b 21 Jan 1762 [m Hannah Cripe d/o Jacob]
> 4 David b 26 Nov 1764 [m Rosanna Bostetter d/o Andrew & Elizabeth
(Long]
> 5 Anna Maria b 12 Mar 1767 [m Jacob Bostetter bro/o Rosanna]
> 6 Catharine b 21 Oct 1769 [m Jacob Angle son Heinrich & Elizabeth
> (Diehl]
>
> Further records in Mr. Stutesman's notebook include: Nicholas was the
> minister of the Conewago Dunker congregation in York Co PA when it was
> formed in 1741. He bought "Swamp Experience" 9 Nov 1751 located
> between Elizabethtown [renamed Hagerstown] and the east bank of the
> Conococheague on a tributary named Rush Run near where McDade Road
joins
> Broadfording Road. He and Stephen Willarick as administrators of
> George Willarick deceased late of Frederick County MD reported the
value
> of the deceases property to the court 27 Aug 1753. He was ordained
an
> Elder of the Conococheague and Antietam church in 1757. Joined by
wife
> Susannah releasing dower, he sold his land to David Martin 8 May 1794.
> Circa 1801 Alexander Mack Jr mentions Nicholas Martin on a list of
> deceased "dear Brethren". Of the named six children, there is not
> further mention of Elizabeth. Anna Maria remained in Washington
County
> MD. Hans Nicholas, David and Catharine lived in Franklin County PA.
> Daniel lived in Montgomery County OH.

This thread: