BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-03 > 1110679631

From: "Gale Honeyman" <>
Subject: RE: [BRE] Maria/Mary and John MARTIN
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:07:17 -0500

Recently John Hale Stutesman donated to the Brethren Heritage Center,
his notebook on the family of Dunker Elder Nicholas Martin. Someplace
he found a source for the 1776 Sauer Bible belonging to Jacob Martin
[1796-1876], sixth child of Hans Nicholas Martin II whose children are
also recorded, from which I give the family record:

Nicholas Martin b 3 Apr 1721 in Sickinghishen, Palatinate, m Susannah
Ulrich b about Easter 1727. I need to recheck the notebook as I have in
my record, Ulrich? The children were:
1 Elizabeth b 8 Oct 1757 [no mate listed]
2 Hans Nicholas b 28 Nov 1759 [m 3 May 1785 Susannah Zug, d/o Jacob & 1)
Elizabeth]
3 Daniel b 21 Jan 1762 [m Hannah Cripe d/o Jacob]
4 David b 26 Nov 1764 [m Rosanna Bostetter d/o Andrew & Elizabeth (Long]
5 Anna Maria b 12 Mar 1767 [m Jacob Bostetter bro/o Rosanna]
6 Catharine b 21 Oct 1769 [m Jacob Angle son Heinrich & Elizabeth
(Diehl]

Further records in Mr. Stutesman's notebook include: Nicholas was the
minister of the Conewago Dunker congregation in York Co PA when it was
formed in 1741. He bought "Swamp Experience" 9 Nov 1751 located
between Elizabethtown [renamed Hagerstown] and the east bank of the
Conococheague on a tributary named Rush Run near where McDade Road joins
Broadfording Road. He and Stephen Willarick as administrators of
George Willarick deceased late of Frederick County MD reported the value
of the deceases property to the court 27 Aug 1753. He was ordained an
Elder of the Conococheague and Antietam church in 1757. Joined by wife
Susannah releasing dower, he sold his land to David Martin 8 May 1794.
Circa 1801 Alexander Mack Jr mentions Nicholas Martin on a list of
deceased "dear Brethren". Of the named six children, there is not
further mention of Elizabeth. Anna Maria remained in Washington County
MD. Hans Nicholas, David and Catharine lived in Franklin County PA.
Daniel lived in Montgomery County OH.

GESH