BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2005-03 > 1110106465

From: "Merle C Rummel" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Brewbaker/Rummel
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 05:54:25 -0500

> Don know if I can help here or not. There is a Jacob Henry Brubaker who
> married an Elizabeth Rummel in 1818 and lived near Mercersburg, PA, just
> north of Hagerstown, MD.

Jacob Brewbaker that was in the 1790 Washington County Maryland census. It
appears he was located in the Upper Antietam Hundred section. Does anyone
know what area of Washington County, MD this describes
**********************************

I can't give you the exact limits of Upper Antietam Hundred -but the
Antietam Hundred was along the Antietam Creek -going north from the
Potomac - east side of Hagarstown MD. Upper Antietam would have gone on
north from there into what is now near Waynesboro PA. Please remember that
in those early days -there was no exact line between Maryland and
Pennsylvania.

I caught with interest the marriage to Elizabeth Rummel. While there was at
least one other Rummel family at Gettysburg (1780s) -several of my family
line stopped temporarily at Zullinger (west of Waynesboro -north of
Hagarstown) before some went on to near Johnstown (Rummel PA) and a number
of the siblings to the Ohio-Pennsylvania Line -near Youngstown OH. Only
those near Johnstown PA and my Great Grandfather Isaiah Rummel who came to
Nappanee IN were Brethren, as far as I know.

Merle C Rummel
Church Historian

This thread: