BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-12 > 1103115776

From: "The Smiths" <>
Subject: RE: [BRE] Re pudding, headcheese, pahn haus, pig souse, scrapple
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:05:01 -0500

My husband bought a book sometime ago, "Country Scrapple" An American
Tradition by William Ways Weaver. It contains the history and various
recipes for Panhas or scrapple made in different parts of the country.
Some of the other names given in the book are, Poor-do, an Appalachian
term which means mixed together. Scrabblin Mush, a name for a rice
scrapple from South Carolina and Ga. Ohio and Ky. Scrapple was called
Goetta. Panhas got part of its name from panna, the name of the cooking
untensil it was made in.

The Pennsylvania Dutch expression my husband heard when he was growing
up was "we use everything but the squeal" in making Panhas.

His uncle who butchered for others and his large family, made it this
way. First he cooked the bony piece. This consisted of the head (after
if was cleaned out), ribs, and anything else that had bones in and not
much meat. Then he scrapped all the meat off of the bones. Next the
meat was ground fairly fine and this is what became "puddin". Then the
broth and some of the puddin meat was heated in a large iron black
kettle. Cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper was added and then cooked until
it became like a mush. Then it was put into loaf pans and set to cool.
The next day or there after it was sliced and fried, yum, yum. Fress,
Jakie fress.

G. Smith