BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-12 > 1103078857

From: J William Bowser <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Re pudding, headcheese, pahn haus, pig souse, scrapple
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:47:37 -0500

I don't think there is standardized spelling for Pennsylvania Dutch.
Years ago I bought a Pennsylvania Dutch dictionary in Lancaster County, a
very simple production designed for the tourist trade. I noticed then
that a number of everyday words that I recognized from having lived in
Germany, were spelled differently in that PA Dutch dictionary. The
German spelling usually was made "semi-English," and the pronunciation
guide (naturally) was even more so. With words in dialect (and German
has a large number of dialects), the spelling even in Germany is probably
not standardized.

--Bill Bowser, Martinsburg, Pennsylvania
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 05:38:17 EST writes:
> A few days ago, I corrected the spelling of pawn haas and gave a
> reference in
> a PA Dutch cookbook. Also, my sister makes souse with pork and
> gelatin
> -other than pigs feet and it works fine.

This thread: