BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-11 > 1101279482

From: Philip Ritter <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Ritter Family
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:58:12 -0800

I'm from a different Ritter family (as confirmed by the y-chromosome test),
but once wondered if the John Ritter who lived in St. Joseph Co., IN might
have been from one of my two Ritter lines. My ancestor was also a John
Ritter, who was born in PA sometime before 1775 and died in Tuscarawas Co.,
OH about 1826. He was married to a Barbara Burket, according to one
unconfirmed source. I haven't had any luck so far connecting to any of the
other better known Ritter families, but since it's been several years since
I made a query about him on this list, I'll try again. John Ritter's
oldest son George (my great-great grandfather) became a Brethren minister
according to family tradition. There must have been something to the story
as George's occupation was listed as "Dunkard Preacher" in the 1850
census. So two questions: (1) is anyone familiar with this Ritter
line? So far I have no matches among the Ritters who have had their
y-chromosomes tested (or to anyone else among tens of thousands of people
who have been tested). (2) is anyone familiar with a Brethren congregation
that once existed in Lawrence township, Tuscarawas Co., OH (where George
Ritter would have ministered)? There is supposed to be a marker near the
steps where the Dunker church once stood, but I've never seen mention of
that congregation in the various Ohio Brethren histories. Most of the
Brethren from that area migrated to NE Kosciuskso Co., IN (including Mock,
Hamman, Kuhn, Fashbaugh, Strieby and other families), so perhaps the church
went out of existence when most everyone left. George Ritter moved to West
Creek Twp., Lake Co., IN in 1851 but died in 1855. There is no record of a
Brethren congregation in southern Lake Co., and most of George's children
subsequently moved to Kosciusko Co. and rejoined their old neighbors from
Tuscarawas.

Thanks, Phil