BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2004-04 > 1081349551

From: "Bob Barr" <>
Subject: Kessler
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:52:31 -0500

Gale and Karin,

I can confirm most of what you have reported. John Bryant was born about 1789 in Virginia. He was the son of Peter Bryant, a Revolutionary War veteran. John married Nancy Bailey in Shelby County, KY on December 22, 1812. He served in the War of 1812 and probably fought in the Battle of New Orleans. John and Nancy were in Wayne County, IN in time to be listed there in the 1820 census. They had seven children. They either went to Wayne County with, or were joined there by, the David Bright family (David married Nancy's sister, Fannie Bailey) and the John Ball family. John Bryant died in September 1828 while on a trip back to Shelby County, KY to visit his father. In about 1836-1838, when the Indians were removed from the Fulton County, IN area, Nancy Bryant, along with her children, the Brights and the Balls bought land in Henry Township from the U.S. government. Nancy Bryant's land stayed in our family for about 100 years.

As Karin has already reported, Mary J. Bryant (daughter of John Bryant and Nancy [Bailey] Bryant) married John Ball. He is reported to have operated a stop on the underground railway for escaped slaves on his farm. One of their sons, Ancil Ball, wrote the letter to the Akron News in 1903 which Gale quoted. John Ball died in 1854, and Mary then married Stephen Sippy whose brother is regarded as the founder of the town of Akron, IN in Henry Township.

Hugh Bryant (son of John and Nancy) married Anna Nichols. These are my ggg-grandparents.

David Bryant (another son of John and Nancy) married Lucinda Kessler. Gale, you report that Lucinda was a daughter of Ulrich Kessler and Mary Morris/Norris. This clears up a mystery for me. Up until now, I have shown only four children for Ulrich and Mary, i.e., Anna Kessler, b. about 1817; John M. Kessler, b. 30 Jan. 1818; Joseph Kessler, b. 22 March 1822; and Louisa Kessler, b. Jan. 1827. Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help.

Bob

This thread: