BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2003-10 > 1066827316

From: "Habibs" <>
Subject: [BRE] Francis Alice Cripe
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:56:35 -0400

I am looking for information on my great-grandmother. I
am just starting my genealogy trail, so please take pity on me.
This is the information I have:

Francis Alice Cripe was the daughter of Emanuel F. Cripe and Frances
Mikesell.
She was born in 1865. She married Benjamin Dontje in Marshall Michigan
on 6 July, 1892.
She bore 4 children, the twins Emanuel Charles & Cornelius I (1893),
Minnie Armantha (1894), and Daniel J. (1895, My grandfather).
She died in July 1896.

According to family stories the children were sent to live with
relatives near Goshen. Emanuel Charles and Cornelius lived with their
grandfather Cripe. Minnie lived with Aunt Sadie. Daniel stayed with
Uncle Role and Aunt Alice.

In the various forms of Cripe Genealogy her name is not listed as a
product of Emanuel F. Cripe and Frances Mikesell.

She married out of the Brethren. Would she therefore not be mentioned?
Although I have to think that may not be the case if the family took the
children until Ben remarried.

Or is the information I have incorrect and she had a different name?

Living in South Carolina limits my access to materials about the
Brethren, even though growing up in Michigan I was aware of them.

Thank you for any help.

Diana Habib

This thread: