BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2003-05 > 1052801472

From: "Chet & Connie Rice" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] SHANK family in Greene Co.OHIO abt.1800 (SHENK??)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 23:52:25 -0500

Jim,
I CAN help you with this couple...The Jacob B COY b.1807 & Mary Ann Shank
b.1811do belong to my line..My direct line is John COY b.1811,his
brother..Boht were the children of John Coy b.1783 & Mary Polly Jones
b.1787..

**ALL COY's of early Greene Co. Pioneers were the decendants of Jacob Coy
b.1739-d.1832 & Susannah-they settled and died in Beavercreek Twp.,Greene
Co. Ohio
I have over 700 COY's in my database..1/2-carry out 5 generations in the
Dayton area, 1/2 carry on out in the Defiance/Williams Co area..My line
(John Coy & Mary Snider) and this Jacob & Mary Ann Shanks decendants (your
line?).
*I still haven't proven who Mary Ann's parents were,but I suspect Henry
Shank b.1784 & Barbara Crumbaugh b.abt.1785..If not them,then Henry had a
brother that settled in the Greene Co. area too,and had kids..

*Check out this website,I should have links for Defiance/Williams Co. & the
headstones.
http://connie_coy.tripod.com/coyfamilyhistory/

*I also have tons of headstone photos in Greene Co.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/oh/tombpics/greene/beavercreektwp/coycem.h
tm
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/oh/tombpics/greene/beavercreektwp/mtzionsh
oupcem/mtzionshoupcem.htm

FYI-This Jacob & My John Coy built the 1st Grist Mill along the Tiffin River
in Defiance Co..
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=c2rice&id=I00957
Here's the Jacob Coy & Mary Ann Shank-
I also have headstone photos if you want them..He has one of the most unique
headstones..It is a 6ft stone tree,with engravings on it.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/oh/tombpics/defiance/tiffintwp/newevanspor
tcem/drcoy_evavansport.jpg
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/oh/tombpics/defiance/defianceco.htm
----
ID: I00957
Name: Jacob B COY
Sex: M
Birth: 20 FEB 1807 in Beavercreek Township, Greene County, Ohio
Death: 9 DEC 1897 in Springfield Twp., Williams County, Ohio
_FA2: Buried at New Evansport Cemetery, Defiance County, Ohio
Burial: New Evansport Cem.,Defiance Co.,Ohio
Note:
*1830-Beavercreek Township,Greene Co.Ohio Census
Reel M19-131 pg.338 line 24
Males: Females:
1-20/30yr 1-15/20yr

*1840-Tiffin Township,Williams(Defiance Co.)Ohio Census
Males: Females:
1-15/20yr 1-20/30yr
1-60+ 1-50 under
The 2 older people on this Census records was probably Jacob's in-laws. His
father had passed away before he moved , and his step-father had his own
land with his mother.

COY, JACOB
State: OH Year: 1840
County: Williams County Record Type: Federal Population Schedule
Township: Tiffin Township Page: 236
Database: OH 1840 Federal Census Index
--

*pg.348-Defiance County History 1883 (Warner,Beers & Co.,Chicago)1883

*pg.347-History of Defiance County-chapter XXX-Tiffin Township-early
Voters -Village of Evansport-Evanpsport Lodge,F&A.M.No.511-Persoanl
Reminiscences

*1st Election 1832- was held in the house of Ephraim Doty-
Elected officers were Jacob Coy and Ephriam Doty -
clerk-Jacob Coy
Jacob's brothers,John and Adam were also recorded as voters

Magistrate page of the Williams Co. website-
*Justice of the Peace-
04/28/1832-05/21/1832-Tiffin Twp.
04/07/1835-NDOL-Tiffin Twp.
10/25/1838-11/29/1838-Tiffin Twp.

*Oct 1845-Tiffin Township elections-elections held at the home of Jacob
Hall-on the list of voters-Jacob Coy,John Snider,Daniel Kintigh,Jacob
Kintigh,Isaac Evans,(long list many are related to us thru a marriage)

pg.348-Village of Evansport-The town was laid out by Jacob Coy,Albert G.
Evans and Amos Evans,Dec.14,1835.The orginal land platt had 122 lots,and had
a population of about 350 people.

*Girst Mill-the 1st Mill in the township was built in 1836-1837 by Jacob
Coy,*John Coy( married to Mary Snider) and John Snider(married to a Coy).The
Mill stayed in business until 1857 under these 3 men.

Jacob and wife Mary Ann Shank bought 109 acres land in sec.3 near Evansport.

List of Tax Voters-Tiffin Township
1851:
Jacob Coy David A Justsus Enos Partee(Purtee) George M Partee James H Partee
Enos M Partee Lewis Partee George Partee

List of Tax Voters-Tiffin Township
May 25,1847:
Jacob Coy

*1880-Census
pg.670B-Springfield Twp.,Williams Co.,Ohio hio

Tiffin Twp.,Defiance Co. Vol 5-Cem.Ins.-New Evansport Cem.-Row.2-sec.6
see:
http://connie_coy.tripod.com/coyfamilyhistory/

Father: John COY b: 28 JUN 1783 in Montgomery Township, Cumberland County,
Pennsylvania
Mother: Mary "Polly" JONES b: 18 AUG 1787 in Red River-Ft.Boone,Kentucky

Marriage 1 Mary Ann SHANK b: 29 AUG 1811 in Hagerstown, Maryland
Married: 7 JAN 1830 in Beavercreek Township, Greene County, Ohio
Children
John W COY b: 14 FEB 1831 in Beavercreek Township, Greene County, Ohio
Abraham COY b: 18 JAN 1833 in Tiffin Township, Defiance County, Ohio
Oliver COY b: 28 APR 1835 in Tiffin Township, Defiance County, Ohio
Joseph COY b: 9 MAY 1837 in Tiffin Township, Defiance County, Ohio
Jacob S COY b: 2 SEP 1839 in Tiffin Township, Defiance County, Ohio
Martin C COY b: 8 JUL 1841 in Tiffin Township, Defiance County, Ohio
Samuel COY b: 29 JUN 1843 in Defiance Co,Ohio
Mary E COY b: 14 JUN 1844 in Evansport, Defiance Ohio
Alvaro COY b: 9 SEP 1847 in Evansport, Ohio
Martha A COY b: 1 JAN 1849 in Evansport, Ohio
Daniel Wesley COY b: 8 JUN 1851 in Evansport,Defiance Co. Ohio
Henry Clinton COY b: 4 FEB 1854 in Evansport,Tiffin Twp.,Defiance Co., Ohio
Issac L COY b: 5 MAY 1857 in Evansport,Defiance Co.,

Warmest Regards,
Connie Coy Rice