BRETHREN-L ArchivesArchiver > BRETHREN > 2002-04 > 1017872114
From: "gale honeyman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Cemeteries/Churches - Salem COB
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:13:43 -0600
References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <008101c1db4c$691955b0$f7779a40@oaks1>
Just the opposite. The Salem Old German Baptist Brethren withdrew during the divide of 1881 from the Salem German Baptist Brethren/Church of the Brethren. That was a troubling time for the Brethren as families were split apart in their stance. Those in favor of the direction in which the church was going versus those who wanted the church to stay and or become more conservative, more commonly referred to as the old order of the church.
The original Salem meeting house was erected in 1854, on land belonging to Joseph Flory. It was destroyed by fire in Jan of 1955. Our cousin Roger Flory was engaged as the contractor to build the new structure, but he was accidentally killed in the process and his father, Uncle D.C. came out of retirement to finish the project. D.C. was a grandson of the afore mentioned Joseph.