BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2002-03 > 1015124752

From: "gale honeyman" <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Bostetter - Warner
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 22:11:25 -0600

Roger,
I cannot let your message go without a response. I spend an afternoon with Lucille Derr [1905-1972] in her home sometime between 1960 & 65, discussing the Warner's and their connections. She pulled many records which we went over. She did not mention the story attributed to her great grandmother Harriet (Warner) Shank's sister Susan (Warner) Berst. I find this odd, in view of the fact that she was being very open to me and very willing to share all of her material, which I did copy. I am at a loss as to what to say further.
There is some evidence that our old Henry Warner the elder, was native born rather than an emigrant. I for one would be very skeptical in accepting Barbara Hostetter as our grandmother.
Lets do a bit of reasoning. Henry did not have a daughter Barbara, as proven by the Bible record of his children, which the Pumphrey's had privy to and has since disappeared. Of these:
Jacob, John, Elizabeth, Henry 2nd, Andrew and David each had a Susannah. Only the younger children, Susannah, Daniel, Samuel apparently died young without issue and Catherine did not have a Susannah. Jacob alone had a Barbara. John is the only child not to name a son Henry after their father. All of Henry the elder's grandchildren are accounted for. That Jacob had a Barbara reflects the fact that his first mother-in-law was named Anna Barbara. Barbara is not a name carried in the family, except for the one incident. It would seem more logical that it should carry further considering the German penchant for naming after the grandparents.
Gale

This thread: